What are the guidelines for open burning?
On December 4, 2006, the Auburn Hills City Council adopted a new Open Burning Policy which is now in effect. Days of burning are limited to:
Burning on these days of the week is allowed May 1 through May 31, and October 15 through November 30.
Further Open Burning information:
- Only those people who reside in a single family residence may burn. This does NOT include mobile homes.
- Burning is permitted from dawn to dusk.
- Only small quantities of leaves and brush may be burned. The burning of trash or waste is prohibited.
- Open burning is prohibited within 50 feet of any structure, in right-of-ways, or in roadways.
- An adult must be in attendance of the fire at all times and provide a method of extinguishments such as a garden hose and a metal rake or shovel.
- Please be considerate of your neighbors when burning. If we receive complaints about your fire creating excessive smoke, you may be asked to put it out.
How do I sign up for a First Aid/CPR class?
Can I have a grill at my apartment or condo?
We continue to receive questions regarding the use and storage of barbeque grills at apartments and condos.
The section of the fire code, adopted under Local Ordinance #865, dealing specifically with this subject is 308.1.4 Open-flame cooking devices which prohibit the use of charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking devices on combustible balconies or within ten feet of combustible construction, except at one and two family dwellings (individual home or duplex), or where buildings and decks are protected by an automatic sprinkler system, or for LP-gas cooking devices having an LP-gas container with a water capacity of not greater and 2.5 pounds (nominal 1 pound LP-gas capacity).
Additionally, Section 307.4.3 prohibits the use of portable fireplaces within 15 feet of a structure or combustible material, except at one or two-family dwellings.
Does the fire department take sharp disposals?
We cannot accept sharps at any city facility, however, the City's waste collection service offers sharps disposal. Information is available through the following link: Sharps Disposal.