An ATM machine is inside the Auburn Hills Police Department,1899 N. Squirrel Rd. Auburn Hills, MI
- Try to avoid going to an ATM alone. Either take someone with you, or only use an ATM when others are around.
- If possible, avoid using an ATM after dark. If you must, choose one that is well lit and does not have tall bushes nearby.
- When you arrive at an ATM, look around. If you see anything that makes you uncomfortable or anyone who looks suspicious, do not stop. Either use an ATM at a different location, or come back later. Notify the authorities.
- Have your access card and any other documents you need ready when you approach an ATM. While you are fumbling with a wallet or purse you are an easy target for a thief.
- If someone else is using the ATM when you arrive, avoid standing right behind them. Give enough space to conduct their transaction in privacy.
- Even while using the ATM, stay alert to your surroundings. Look up and around every few seconds while transacting your business. Protect your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Do not enter your PIN if anyone else can see the screen. Shield your PIN from onlookers by using your body.
- When your transaction is finished, be sure you have your card and your receipt, then leave immediately. Avoid counting or otherwise displaying large amounts of cash.
- As you leave, keep a look out. Be alert for anything or anyone who appears suspicious. If you think you are being followed, go directly to a Police Station or go to an area with many people and call the police.