Bringing a furry friend home?
Each summer, the Oakland County Animal Control Census Team conducts a census in an attempt to bring the public into compliance with the Michigan State Dog Law of 1919 that requires all dog's ages 4 months and older have a license.
Why does my dog need a license?
Licensing is an important public safety issue and ensures that all dogs residing in our community have their current rabies vaccinations.
Where can I purchase a dog license?
Residents can purchase a license at the following locations:
- Due to COVID-19, City offices are currently closed to the public.
- The Animal Shelter & Pet Adoption Center is also currently closed to the public.
- Licenses can be purchased online at www.oakgov.com/petadoption
- Note: the Enhanced Access fee is temporarily waived at this time due to COVID-19
- The Oakland County Board of Commissioners Health, Safety and Human Services Committee will waive the delinquent fee for the Oakland County Dog Licenses through the end of 2020. This means that all dog licenses will be $10.50 for a spayed/neutered dog and $18.00 for a male/female dog. Senior discounts are still available as well as three-year dog licenses for those citizens whose dog's rabies vaccination is valid through 2022.
Please Note: You can only purchase a dog license at the treasurer's office from January 1st - June 1st.
A valid rabies vaccination certificate signed by the vet is REQUIRED to purchase the dog license.
After June 1st, you will have to purchase the license at the Oakland County Animal Control building at 1200 N Telegraph Road building 42E Pontiac, MI 48341. The cost of all dog licenses also increases to $33.00 after June 1st.
- On June 2nd, the Oakland County Animal Control Census Team will begin going door to door in various communities in an attempt to bring the public into compliance with the State Law. Residents found to be housing dogs that are not licensed will be issued courtesy citations and given a period of time to comply with the law. If the resident still fails to comply within the allotted time period, another citation requiring a court appearance will be issued.
|Auburn Hills Dog License Fee
(Applies only from Jan 1 - Jun 1)
|Type of License||One Year||Three Year*|
|Spayed/Neutered [Senior Rate]||$9.75||$26.25|
|Intact [Senior Rate]||$16.50||$46.50|
Fees are set by the Oakland County Board of Commissioners.
*Rabies vaccination must expire in the year 2021 or later to purchase a 3-year dog license.