Listed below are some frequently asked questions involving the departments of the City of Auburn Hills. Click on the department link below to navigate to the question you may be searching for.


City Clerk

Community Center

Community Development

Department of Public Works



Human Resources

Parks and Recreation


Senior Services


Utility Billing



Glossary of Terms

Capped Value (CAP): Last year's taxable value, less losses, increased by the amount of the Consumer Price Index (CPI) or 5 percent, whichever is lower, plus the value of new construction.

Consumer Price Index (CPI): Determined by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Assessed Value (AV): Half of the True Cash Value

State Equalized Value (SEV): County and State Equalization studies are performed after the local municipalities have finalized their assessment rolls which results in a factor applied to the assessed values. Historically, for Auburn Hills, this factor has been 1.000 which means that the SEV and the Assessed Values have been the same.

Taxable Value (TV): The lesser of the SEV and the CAPPED Value. Property taxes are determined by multiplying the taxable value by the millage rate.

General Assessment Questions

When will my property be evaluated?
The taxable status of real and personal property for a tax year shall be determined as of each December 31 of the immediately preceding year, which is considered tax day. An assessing officer is not restricted to any particular period in the preparation of the assessment roll but may survey, examine, or review properties at any time prior to or after the tax day.

Why do assessed values change from year to year?
When market value changes, naturally so does assessed value. For instance, if you were to increase the total market value of a parcel of property by building a garage, the assessed value would increase proportionately. Similarly, should a property value be decreased because of a fire or other catastrophe, the assessed value would decrease to show the downward effect of the damage on the market value of the property. The economy of the entire community affects assessed value. For example, over the years more property owners have rehabilitated or invested in new construction in and around the City of Auburn Hills; and all property values within the City have increased. This can easily be seen by looking at the asking prices of properties that are currently for sale on the open market and by finding out what properties have actually sold for within the City of Auburn Hills. The Assessor has not created this value, he simply has the legal responsibility to discover it as it exists and appraise property accordingly. People make value by their transactions in the market place.

How can my Taxable Value go up when my Assessed Value stays the same or even goes down? The City of Auburn Hills knows this is an area of great concern to our taxpayers.  Assessments are a function of property value and property taxes are calculated on your taxable value.  In 1994 Proposal A required property taxes be calculated based on the Taxable Value not the Assessed Value.  By law, Taxable Values are annually increased or decreased each year by the CPI (Consumer Price Index) or 5% whichever is lower; unless there are physical changes to the property or a transfer of ownership occurred.  The 2012 Inflation Rate Multiplier (IRM) is 1.027%

During the 1990s and early 2000s, property values greatly exceeded the annual CPI.  This has created a gap between the Assessed and Taxable Values.  Property taxes will continue to rise until the taxable value is equal to the Assessed Value.  Therefore, it is possible for your assessment to go down, yet a Taxable Value will increase until the assessment and taxable value are equal.  Proposal A does not permit the taxable value to ever be higher than the assessed value.

CLICK HERE to obtain a copy of Oakland County's Proposal A pamphlet for more information and examples.

If I repair my home will my assessment go up?
Most homes are assumed to be maintained and normal repairs usually will not increase the assessment. If you are fixing up a home that has not been maintained or needs many repairs, you may want to file a "Request for Non consideration of the True Cash Value of Normal Repair, Replacement and Maintenance Expenditures" form. Form number 865, formerly L-4293. Normal repairs and maintenance such as siding, windows, porches, roof, heating systems, painting and interior remodeling will not be added to your assessed value until you sell the property to someone else. Expenses which are part of a structural addition do no qualify. Forms are available by calling or stopping by the assessor's office.

Principal Residence (Homestead) Exemptions

What is the deadline for filing a Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit?
The filing deadline is June 1 of the year the exemption is being claimed. Click HERE to access the proper form.

I moved to a different home before the June1 filing deadline. May I claim my new home?
Yes. If you buy a new home and move into it before the May 1 filing deadline, you may claim an exemption on the new home. New residences may be claimed by filing a PRINCIPAL RESIDENCE EXEMPTION AFFIDAVIT (FORM 2368) that is typically available at closing. If your agent does not provide you with this form, you can either pick one up at the Assessor's office at city hall or download it from the link above.

I moved into my Auburn HIlls home after June 1st, but by November 1st.  Do I qualify for a Principal Residence Exemption?
PA 114 of 2012 allows those who initially own and occupy their home from June 2 through November 1 to claim a principal residence exemption for the winter taxes only for that year, as long as their Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit form is timely filed.  Note: If the school operating taxes for your school district are levied on the summer tax bill only, this exemption will not benefit you until the following year.

Can I, as closing agent, be held liable to a buyer or seller if the buyer is not granted a homestead exemption because I did not provide either an update or an affidavit form, or I did not submit their form on time?
Closing agents are required to provide either an affidavit or update form at closing. However, PA 415 of 1994 does not provide a legal course of action against the closing agent, by the buyer or seller, if the agent fails to provide a homestead exemption form or fails to file the form with the local tax collecting unit.

When I claim an exemption on my new residence, what happens to the exemption on the residence I sold?
The exemption on your old home remains in effect until December 31 of the year your home is sold. If you move to your new residence before your first home is sold, the exemption expires on December 31 of the year you move out. You must rescind the homestead exemption within 90 days of the date you no longer own or occupy the property as your principal residence. You may rescind your exemption on the REQUEST TO RESCIND/WITHDRAW HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION FORM (Form 2602) at closing. If your agent did not provide you with Form 2602, stop by the Assessor's office at city hall or download it from the link above.

I am moving into a new home and converting my current home to a rental property in November. Do I have to rescind the exemption on my current home?
Yes, within 90 days of moving. The exemption will remain in place until December 31 of the year the use is changed from your principal residence to a rental property. Click HERE to access the proper form.

I just moved into a new home and have my prior home up for sale. Can I keep the PRE on my prior home?
Maybe. Click HERE for more information.

What happens when a lender has foreclosed on a mortgage and the home is now vacant?
The lender must rescind the homestead exemption using the REQUEST TO RESCIND/WITHDRAW HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION FORM (Form 2602). If you need a Form 2602 you can pick on up at the Assessor’s office at city hall or download it from the link above.

What determines principal residence?
The test the Michigan Department of Treasury uses to determine principal residence includes such things as where you are registered to vote, the address on your driver's license, where your children attend school, and the address from which you file your income tax returns.

I own two homes in Michigan. For which home do I claim the exemption?
Claim the exemption for the home you occupy as your principal residence.

I have a home in Michigan and in another state. May I claim an exemption on my Michigan home?
You must be a Michigan resident to claim this exemption. You may claim your Michigan home only if you own it and occupy it as your principal residence. You may not have more than one principal residence.

May renters file for this exemption?
No. You must own your principal residence to claim an exemption for it.

My children own my home, but I hold a life estate. May I claim the exemption?
Yes. Complete the affidavit using your name, address, social security number, and signature. Your children should not sign the affidavit.

I am leasing my home with an option to buy. May I claim my home?
No. Leasing with an option to buy is considered a rental arrangement, so the home is ineligible. When you exercise the option to buy, you may claim an exemption.

I live in a nursing home but still maintain a home that I eventually plan on returning to. May I claim an exemption on the home I own?
Yes, unless the home is rented to another person.

I own the lot adjoining and contiguous to my home, and it has a different property identification number than the parcel on which my homestead is located. May I also claim an exemption on this property?
You may claim an exemption on this property as long as the property claimed is adjoining or contiguous to your home. A road does not break contiguity. File an affidavit for each parcel.

I live in part of my home and operate a business in another part. May I claim an exemption?
Yes, but only on the portion of the property that is your home. You may claim the partial exemption even if the property is classified as commercial.

I rent a room in my home to a boarder. May I still claim an exemption?
Yes. If more than 50 percent of your home is used as your principal residence, you may claim an exemption for your entire home. If you use 50 percent or less of your home as a principal residence, a percentage of your home that you occupy will be used.

I own a duplex and I live in one of the units. My father lives in the other unit but does not pay rent. May I claim an exemption on both units?
You may claim an exemption only on the unit you occupy as your principal residence even if there is an adjoining entrance between the units.

Conditional Rescission of Principal Residence Exemption

Where can I find information on a Conditional Rescission of Principal Residence Exemption?
By clicking HERE.

Transfer of Ownership

How do I file for a transfer of ownership for a property?
P.A. 415 defines transfers and requires that whenever a property transfers ownership, a Property Transfer Affidavit must be filed by the new owner with the assessing officer (even if you are not recording a deed) within 45 days of the transfer. This affidavit must disclose the following:
- The parties to the transfer
- The date of the transfer
- The actual consideration for the transfer (ie: dollar amount), and
- The property identification number or legal description. The property Transfer Affidavit must be filed within 45 days of transfer.
If a Property Transfer Affidavit is not filed timely, a penalty of $5/day (maximum $200) applies

Personal Property

I closed my business this year (or moved it out of Auburn Hills), and still received a tax bill for my personal property.  Do I have to pay it?  Why?

Yes, you are still responsible for the payment.  The status of personal property on December 31st will determine what is assessed and where it is assessed in the following year. According to MCL 211.17, any changes in location or ownership of the personal property after tax day will not affect the assessment.   CLICK HERE to access Oakland County's publication, "Some Facts About Personal Property", for further information.

Oakland County Equalization

Click HERE to link with Oakland County Equalization's website that contains more Frequently Asked Questions.

City Clerk

Is there a fee to get documents notarized?
Yes, there is a fee for notary services. Do NOT sign documents in advance. Documents must be executed in the presence of the Notary, and photo identification is required. For additional information, please call 248-370-9402.

How do I register to vote?
A voter registration form can be downloaded by clicking HERE.

Where can I find the City Ordinances?
Anyone may, by visiting the Auburn Hills City Clerks Office, review the City's Code of Ordinances or purchase a copy. The City of Auburn Hills has gone one step further to make its ordinances even more accessible and easy to search. The Code of Ordinances is available online by clicking HERE. This online version allows the user to search for all references to a particular subject.

Community Center

Where can I find information on renting space in the Community Center?
This information is available at the Auburn Hills Community Center, or call (248) 370-9353, or you can download a rental packet HERE.

How do I reserve a pavilion in the park?
Reservations for park pavilions are made through the Parks & Recreation Department. For information contact the Parks & Recreation Department at (248) 370-9353.

How do I obtain a swim card?
Residents may obtain a Community Center Card that allows free access to the open swim program at Avondale High School. Non-residents, or those without a card, pay $4 at the pool. For details on obtaining a Community Center Card, please contact the Parks & Recreation Department at (248) 370-9353. Questions about the swim program, call (248) 537-6233.

How do I find recreational activities for children
The Recreation Department offers a variety of activities for children. Click HERE for a listing of our current programs. 

Community Development

Building Permit Information

Where do I go to apply for a building permit?
To apply for a building permit, please visit the Community Development Department at 1827 N. Squirrel Road. We are located between the Administration Building and the Library on the Civic Center Campus.

When is a Building Permit needed?
A permit is needed when any owner or authorized agent intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit. A more detailed description can be viewed HERE.

How long does it take for a permit to be processed?
Each case stands alone but the normal turn around time for a permit is 3 – 5 weeks.

How much does a permit cost?
Permit fees very depending on the project. A fee sheet for Community Development is available HERE.

What needs to be submitted to obtain a Building Permit?
To obtain a building permit you must submit a Building Permit Application, three sets of building plans (signed and sealed for commercial projects), two plot plans, and the signed building permit application (where applicable).

Do you take credit cards for payment?
No, we only accept cash or checks for payment.


How do I obtain demographic information regarding the city?
Please call us at (248.364.6806) to request demographic information as it is kept in this office updated and available at all times.

How does one inquire about available land and jobs?
Information is available on parcels of land as this office is notified by various developers and residents. There are times when this information is unavailable due to there being no listed referrals. Even when there are referrals, individuals are encouraged to contact a broker for assistance as it is their major function to know what is available. This office has compiled a list of brokers in this area for your convenience. For more information, please call (248) 364-6900 or send an email to Laurie Johnson.

What should I do to obtain information on incentives to start up a business?
Persons interested in information on the following business incentives: Tax Abatement; Industrial Revenue Bonds; Brownfield Development: MEGA assistance through the State, etc. please call 248.364.6806 for details.

How does one get assistance in developing a business plan?
Interested persons may contact this office at (248) 364-6900 for an overview on the process of developing a business plan. Additionally, they may be referred to the Small Business Office at Oakland County’s "One Stop Shop". The County provides packets of information describing how to develop a plan and also they sponsor workshops at a nominal cost of which many people find very helpful.

How does one acquire an overview on the economic condition of Auburn Hills?
Persons interested in an overview, please call (248) 364-6806 and we will assist you.

What is the City’s policy regarding tax abatements?
The City’s current policy regarding tax abatements is to offer them to existing Auburn Hills companies seeking to expand in Auburn Hills. Tax abatements are processed through the Assessing Department. For more information, please contact the Assessing Department at 248-370-9436.

How do I make a complaint about another property in my neighborhood?
You would call Building Services/Ordinance Enforcement at 248-364-6949 and press 2 for Ordinance Enforcement concerns.

How many pets am I allowed to keep at my property?
You must contact the Police Department at (248) 370-9444 for information regarding pets.

Are there restrictions on where I can park my RV?
Yes, you may only park your RV inside your rear yard.

I want to split my lot. Can I do that?
Whether or not you can subdivide your property depends on a number of factors including: zoning, lot size, access requirements, easements, etc. For more information, you can speak directly with Steve Cohen, City Planner at 248-364-6941; review the instructions for land divisions on this website; or stop by the Community Development Department building Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

How do I find out what the zoning is on my property?
Please give us a call at 248-364-6900 and we will assist you. All property in the City is zoned, and the restrictions on development vary from one zone to another. When you call, please be able to identify the property by a specific address or parcel number. If you wish to stop by our office, we have zoning maps available for viewing and/or purchase.

What is happening next door?
Often times you will see signs that development is likely to be occurring soon in your neighborhood. For example, you will see stakes in the ground used to mark property boundaries or building locations, grading (changing of the ground level) occurring, or paint marks on the streets and sidewalks indicating underground utility locations. When you see these early signs, you can call us at 248-364-6900 to find out what is going to go there in the near future.

What should I do when I receive a public hearing notice?
A public hearing is a process that is intended to provide members of the public an opportunity to address the Planning Commission on matters concerning land development and other public interests. If and when you receive a public hearing notice or see a public hearing sign posted on a property: - You may call the phone number listed on the notice to speak directly with the Steve Cohen, City Planner for additional information on the project.
- You may review the application materials on file at the Community Development Department.
- You may mail, fax (248-364-6939), or email your written comments concerning the project to the Community Development Department. You may appear before the Planning Commission to give your testimony on the day of the hearing.

What is the Citizen Participation Ordinance?
The purpose of the Citizen Participation Ordinance is to ensure that both developers and citizens have adequate opportunities early in the planning process to discuss, understand, and try to resolve neighborhood issues related to any potential impacts of a proposed project on the surrounding neighborhood. The Ordinance applies to mostproposed private and public development projects occurring within 1,000 feet of residential zoned property. For more information, you can contact Steve Cohen, City Planner at 248-364-6941.

What is a master land use plan and where can I get a copy of it?
The Master Land Use Plan for the City of Auburn Hills was adopted in November 2002. The document serves as the City's plan for future growth and development. The plan includes the community's goals and recommendations for appropriate locations of residential, non-residential, and public land uses. It is developed and maintained with public input, helping the City grow in an orderly manner. The Master Land Use Plan is updated on a continuing basis to reflect changing needs over time. A copy of the plan is available free of charge at the Community Development Department or online,HERE.

Department of Public Works

Trash, Recycling, and Hazardous Waste

Does the City handle Garbage/Trash Collection?
The City currently has an exclusive contract with Waste Management. Click here for complete information.

Does the City have a Recycling program?
Waste Management does offer a curbside recycling program in conjunction with its trash pick-up. You will be provide an 18-gallon recycling bin by Waste Management. For further informaition, click here.

Does the City sponsor a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day?
Yes, each May, the City sponsors a Spring Cleanup and Household Hazardous Waste Dropoff Day. Information is published in the City's quarterly newsletter, The Auburn Hills Review, and also sent out with your Utility Bill.

Does the City have a Landfill?
No. The landfills located in or near the City of Auburn Hills are privately owned and operated. You can contact them at:
Oakland Heights Landfill 248-373-2334
Eagle Valley Landfill 248-391-0990

Street and Traffic Lighting

Does the City maintain the Street Lights?
Yes, some of them. Please send an email to the dpw@auburnhills.org and completely identify the location of the street light as well as the problem with it. We will look into the problem and either repair it or submit a request to DTE to repair their lights.

Does the City maintain traffic signals?
No, the Road Commission for Oakland County maintains all traffic signals within the City.

Water and Sewer Billing

When should I expect to receive a water/sewer bill?
Water/sewer bills are mailed monthly, usually the last week of the month, and payment is due by the 15th of the following month. A 10% penalty is charged for all late payments.

Why is my water/sewer bill so high?
Your water/sewer bill is based completely upon water consumption. If you have a bill which seems higher than usual, you should check your home for water leaks. There is an indicator on the face of your meter which can be used to identify water consumption. The water meter cannot register excess water usage, therefore cannot overstate your water consumption, unless the water actually passed through the meter and into your home.

I haven't received a water/sewer bill in several months. Could there be something wrong?
Yes, your "remote reader" could be malfunctioning, failing to send a signal to our meter reading equipment and therefore, not generating a bill. If you suspect that you should be getting a bill but have not, please contact the DPW immediately to schedule a repair appointment. Failure to do so may cause a large back-billing for water consumed.


Where can I view the financial reports for the city?
You can view the following reports HERE:
- Adopted Annual Budget
- Annual Financial Report
- Annual Retiree Health Care Report
- Annual Pension Report


What are the guidelines for open burning?
On December 4, 2006, the Auburn Hills City Council adopted a new Open Burning Policy which is now in effect. Days of burning are limited to:
- Monday
- Wednesday
- Friday
- Saturday

Burning on these days of the week is allowed May 1 through May 31, and October 15 through November 30.

Further Open Burning information:
- Only those people who reside in a single family residence may burn. This does NOT include mobile homes.
- Burning is permitted from dawn to dusk.
- Only small quantities of leaves and brush may be burned. The burning of trash or waste is prohibited.
- Open burning is prohibited within 50 feet of any structure, in right-of-ways, or in roadways.
- An adult must be in attendance of the fire at all times and provide a method of extinguishment such as a garden hose and a metal rake or shovel.
- Please be considerate of your neighbors when burning. If we receive complaints about your fire creating excessive smoke, you may be asked to put it out.

What if I have a question that doesn't pertain to the City's Open Burning Policy?
All other questions for the Auburn Hills Fire Department can be emailed to fdinfo@auburnhills.org.

How do I sign up for a First Aid/CPR class?
You may email mgorak@auburnhills.org to register for a class. A list of fees for the classes can be found HERE.

Grills at Apartments and Condos:  
              We continue to receive questions regarding the use and storage of barbeque grills at apartments and condos.   The section of the fire code, adopted under Local Ordinance #835, dealing specifically with this subject is 308.1.4 Open-flame cooking devices which prohibits the use of charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking devices on combustible balconies or within ten feet of combustible construction, except at one and two family dwellings (individual home or duplex), or where buildings and decks are protected by an automatic sprinkler system, or for LP-gas cooking devices having an LP-gas container with a water capacity of not greater and 2.5 pounds (nominal 1 pound LP-gas capacity).  Additionally, Section 307.4.3 prohibits the use of portable fireplaces within 15 feet of a structure or combustible material, except at one or two-family dwellings.

Human Resources

Where can I find a list of job openings at the City?
A list of open positions can be found HERE.

Where can I find employee/retiree assistance information?
You can find this information and other useful links HERE.

Where can I find the Human Resource Policies of the City of Auburn Hills?
A complete list of these policies can be viewed HERE.

Parks and Recreation

How do I register for city programs and events?
By mail or in-person (see Registration Information for details) and for most events, simply come on out!

When are the city parks open for use?
City parks are open from 7am to dusk, 365 days a year. The skate park is open roughly April - November.

How do I reserve a Pavilion in the Park?
Reservations for park pavillions are made through the Parks & Recreation Department. For information please contact the Parks & Recreation Department at (248) 370-9353.

Are dogs allowed in the City parks?
Yes, they must be kept on a leash at all times and owners must clean up after dogs. Please do not allow your dog to run loose in the park - this is against the park rules and can be hazardous to other park users and wildlife.

Where is the Clinton River Trail in Auburn Hills?
It runs east-west, for 2 miles between Opkyke Rd. and Adams Rd., in the southern end of the city, and has a hard surface great for hiking and biking!

Do the city parks have trails?
Yes, all major parks have either paved, crushed limestone or wood chip trails, or a combination of these surfaces. They are ideal for walking, jogging, biking, nature observation, and more. Paved trails also offer opportunities for rollerblading. See the Parks and Facilities section for details on each city park.

Do you have employment and/or volunteer opportunities?
Yes, we have both. Typical part-time positions include instructors, coaches, and program leaders on a seasonal basis. We also offer a Teen Volunteer Program for students in grades 9-12 and are often looking for adult volunteer coaches for athletics.


What is the Non-Emergency phone number for the Police Department?
For all non-emergency issues, contact the Police Department at 248-370-9444. For an emergency, you should always dial 9-1-1.

Where can I find information on safety?
The Auburn Hills Police Department offers a variety of courses on public safety. For more information on the Auburn Hills Citizens Police Academy, click HERE.

For further information, please visit the Police Department's webpage, auburnhills.org/police.


Senior Services

How old do you have to be to be a senior participant?
Any one 55 years or older are eligible, they can receive a Community Center card if they are residents of Auburn Hills. For Non-Residents you can pay a small drop in fee for sports programs, additional fees for other classes.

Do you offer senior meals at the center?
Meals are offered 5 days a week at the Community Center. Call the Senior Department at 248-370-9353 for more information.

Is there a senior transportation bus for rides to doctors, community center, etc.?
Yes, call the Community Center at 248-370-9353 to request assistance. Transportation is for Auburn Hills residents age 62 and older and disabled. No transportation is available for rides to school or work. For other transportation options contact SMART at 1-866-962-5515.

Who do I call about Meals on Wheels?
Call 248-608-0264 (Older Persons Commission) to make arrangements. Volunteers from the Auburn Hills Community Center will deliver meals 7 days a week.

What kind of classes are available for senior citizens?
Everything from Arts & Crafts, Language classes, Cooking classes, Fitness , Travel and more. Each quarter new classes are introduced and request to research new classes are always welcome. The Auburn Hills Review is mailed out to residents listing all the classes. Click HERE or contact the Senior Department at 248-370-9353 for more information.

Do you have programs to assist with lawn mowing, snow plowing or minor home repairs?
Yes, there are several programs that are for income eligible seniors and residents. There is a lawn mowing and snow removal service for income eligible seniors and disabled homeowners. We also have a Minor Home Repair program for income eligible seniors and disabled residents and a Mobile Home Repair program for income eligible homeowners with no age restrictions. Registrations and applications are required. Contact the Senior Services Department at 248-370-9353 for more information.

What if I need major home repairs and am low income?
Contact Oakland County Community and Home Improvement at 248-858-5402. They offer low interest and zero interest home loans for income eligible Oakland County homeowners. Applications are also available through the Senior Services Department.

Is there subsidized housing in the area?
Yes, there are several complexes both for families and seniors. You can all Oakland County Housing Counseling at 248-858-5402 or the Senior Services Department at 248-370-9353 for more information.

Where do I apply for food stamps?
For Auburn Hills residents, you can apply with the Department of Human Services located in Pontiac. Contact them at 248-975-2145 for more information.

Where do I apply for Social Security to get a replacement card?
At the Social Security Office located at 1280 Pontiac Rd., Pontiac. Toll free number is 1-800-772-1213.

How do I become a volunteer in the Community?
Call the Senior Services Department at 248-370-9353 and ask for the Volunteer Coordinator. She will explain all available opportunities.

Where can we rent rooms for parties and business meetings?
At the Community Center. This is no alcohol allowed or smoking inside the building. Rates vary for resident and non-residents. Call 248-370-9353 for more information.

I need assistance with food, my utilities or other needs whom can I contact?
The Senior Services does offer many assistance program and referrals to local agencies. Contact the Senior Services Director for assistance. For more information about senior programs and services please contact the Senior Services Department at 248-370-9353


When are property taxes mailed and when are they due?
Property Tax Bills are mailed twice each year: July 1 and December 1. Summer Taxes are payable from July 1 through the September due date without interest. Winter Taxes are payable from December 1 through the February due date without penalty. If you do not receive your tax bill, please call the Treasurer’s Department at (248)370-9420 and a screen print of your taxes will be mailed to you or may be obtained at Property Tax Lookup on the Tax Information screen on the Treasurer's web page. To avoid late penalties, please allow sufficient time (7-10 days) for mailing, as postmarks are not accepted.

How is the amount of my tax determined?
Tax amounts are calculated by multiplying the Taxable Value of a parcel by the millage rate divided by 1,000. Please remember we have 5 different school districts, so verify your school district to get the correct millage rate.

Where do I pay Delinquent Tax Payments?
As of March 1, all delinquent property taxes are payable only to the Oakland County Treasurer, 1200 N. Telegraph Road, Pontiac, Michigan 48341. For payments made in the month of March, a revised statement must be obtained from the City of Auburn Hills Treasurer's Department and submitted with your payment to the County Treasurer’s Office. To contact the Oakland County Treasurer’s Office call (248) 858-0611.

Delinquent taxes may now be paid online. Visit oakgov.com/paytaxes/index.html to do so.

When is my water/sewer bill due?
All water/sewer bills are due on the 15th of each month. All payments made after the 15th will have a 10% late fee applied. You have the option to pay this bill online at www.auburnhills.org

What are the office hours for the Treasurer's Department?
Our offices are open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

How can I make a payment after hours?
The City has two drop boxes conveniently located in front of City Hall. Payments may be made using either of the two drop boxes at the City Hall Administration Building parking lot at 1827 N. Squirrel Road. Payments must be received in the drop box BEFORE the start of the next business day to be included in the business transactions for the prior day.

You may utilize the online payment method, as well. Click the following links to pay your utility bill or taxes online.

How do I get a stamped receipt if I use the drop box?
Enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope with your payment, and you will be mailed a screen print receipt. You may obtain your tax information at any time by going to Auburn Hills Assessor’s Department. If you have sold your property, and received a tax statement in error, please forward the statement to the new owner or return it to the Treasurer’s Department with correction(s) of name and/or address.

How do I make Name or Address Changes on my water bill?
Contact the Utility Billing Department at (248) 370-9340.

What is the IRS School Code for my School District?
The IRS School Codes are as follows:
- Avondale: 63070 
- Lake Orion: 63230
- Pontiac: 63030
- Rochester: 63260

Utility Billing

How often are utility bills mailed?
Bills are mailed on a monthly basis, and usually received by the 20th. Utility Bills are always due on the 15th of each month. If the 15th falls on a holiday or weekend, then the due date is extended to the next business day.

How can I make a payment on my Utility Billing Account:
The Treasurer’s Department accepts cash, checks, and credit / debit card payments. Payments must either be mailed or dropped off at City Hall. After hours payments may be put in the drop-box located outside of the Treasurer’s office. You can also make a payment with a Credit Card or E-Check at www.auburnhills.org

When is my Utility Bill payment due?
Water and sewer bills are always due on the 15th of each month. If the 15th falls on a holiday or weekend, then the due date is extended to the next business day. A 6% compounding penalty is applied if bills are not paid by the due date. Failure to receive a bill does not waive any past due penalty.

Why is there a Penalty charge on my bill?
By City Ordinance No. 634, Section 74-143, “If any bill is not paid when due, then a compounding penalty of six
percent shall be added thereto."

I sent my payment electronically, through my checking service, why is it late?
If you ask your checking service to send a payment, they have to write a check and mail it to the City in the traditional manner. This seems to take longer than it would for you to write and mail a check yourself. Please make sure to allow ample time for this process if you choose to make a payment this way.

Where is my water meter? 
Your water meter is usually located in the basement, crawl space or in a utility room.

What is that plastic box on the outside of my house?
The plastic box on the outside of the house is a remote reading device. This remote reader is wired to the meter inside. Monthly, DPW gets meter readings via the remote, which is how we can accurately bill and is the reason why meter readers don’t knock on your door every three months asking to come inside to read your water meter.

How can I tell if the meter read on my bill is an “Actual Read”?
The letter printed after the Previous Read number and the Current Read number should be an “A” if an “Actual Read” was taken from your meter. You can also verify the read by looking at your meter’s odometer. See How to Read Your Water Meter for more information.

How can I get a printout of my meter read history or Water Consumption History?
Contact the Utility Billing department by calling 248-370-9340 or via email at utilitybilling@auburnhills.org.

Why is my water bill so high?
There are several reasons for a high water bill. During the summer months, watering new or existing grass or landscaping can cause the water bill to escalate. Seemingly small problems such as toilet or faucet leaks, a water powered sump pump, or a leaking humidifier can make a great impact on your water bill. You can check for leaks by looking for the small triangular leak indicator on the face of your water meter. If it is spinning when no water should be running, a leak is present. Another method of checking for leaks is to take a meter reading at night and another in the morning. If no water was used over night, the reading should remain the same. See Tips for Saving Water & Money for more information.

I am selling my house can I give you the final read off my meter?
Only Water Department personnel take final readings. To assure you get your final bill in time for your closing date you will need to call and schedule a final reading appointment 48 hours before your closing. We will need access to your premise to read the water meter inside. You will then be able to pick up your final bill at the Treasurer’s office at City Hall the next business day and receive a receipt, or have it mailed, faxed or emailed to you. See Moving In/Out for more information.

What is the Meter Update Program?
The Water Department is undergoing a water meter update program. Replacement is based on the age of the water meter in each home. The procedure requires access to the water meter inside the home, and requires approximately 30 minutes. There is no charge to the property owner for this update.